J is for Jean Grey



Thank you all for yesterday’s comments on I is for (The) Immortal Nicholas Flamel. I continue the A-Z today with;


J is for Jean Grey

"HEAR ME X-MEN! NO LONGER am I the woman you KNEW! I am FIRE! And LIFE INCARNATE! Now and forever ... I am PHOENIX!"

Red hair, green eyes, telepathic and telekinetic powers. Jean Grey is everything I love in a heroine. 

Though I only read the comics sporadically, I’ve watched all the cartoon series – 90’s Xmen, Xmen Evolution and Wolverine and the Xmen –, seen all the Xmen movies, and in every incarnation, I love Jean Grey.

She’s smart, sassy, beautiful, powerful and strong. I mean, come on, how strong do you have to be to sacrifice your own life to save that of millions of others?

And like every good hero or heroine, she’s had to battle and overcome her dark side. Jean Grey has fought the Dark Phoenix inside herself, as well as an evil clone. And each time, she’s come out stronger than before, eventually becoming The White Phoenix of the Crown; a joining of the Phoenix Force and Jean Grey that exists in the afterlife. 

In the current Xmen comics, Jean Grey’s sixteen year old self has been bought to the future, where she’d learned about her future, which includes marriage to teammate Scott, her death, and Scott killing their mentor Charles Xavier. Despite only being sixteen and having a huge burden on her shoulders, Jean wants to stay in the present and right the wrongs that have happened in her future.

She is a brilliant symbol of strength and rebirth after disaster. Sometimes, when I’m lacking in the strength to face the problems of real life, I think of Jean, and she inspires me to carry on. To find the light within myself, and be reborn after life’s problems. 

Check back tomorrow for K is for (The) Kingkiller Trilogy, and if you're interested please check out my writing blog's A-Z of Prenatural Entities latest entry J is for Jinn.



8 comments:

  1. YAY!! X-men are my favorite comics. I am dying to wake up one day and discover some mutant powers I never knew I had...lol Girlfriend, you know if I had to pick which X-girl I'd want to be it would be Jean Grey. And believe it or not, it's not just because she's Wolverine's first draft pick, but because she's AMAZEBALLS :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm still waiting to discover my mutant ability too! Jean is all levels of awesome, and an added bonus is, she sometimes gets to kiss Wolverine! :D

      Delete
  2. Love Jean Grey. Even her name speaks of her normalness....Until you find out what's underneath.
    http://www.melanieshulz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, she has got a very girl next door aura at first.

      Delete
  3. Until she became Phoenix, she was the only X-Men that went by her real name instead of a nickname.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't she go by Marvel Girl for a while? Or was that only Rachel?

      Delete
  4. Love X-Men, especially the idea of "what defines a bad guy?". Magneto vs. Professor X, not really a bad guy, just two men who differ on whether you strike against your enemies with force or reason. And, Jean Grey is awesome because of her own struggles. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the Xmen First Class movie really highlighted that. Magneto thinks what he's doing is for the greater good.

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting. Your thoughts are always appreciated. ^_^