A-Z Blogging Challenge: A is for Anne Rice

 
As I previously mentioned, this year I'm taking part in the A-Z Blogging Challenge on BOTH of my blogs. Here, I'll be talking about the A-Z of things I love; be they TV shows, movies, books, video games, characters or actors.  

Over on my writing blog, Clare Dugmore Writes, I'm doing  my own spin on the A-Zof Prenatural Entities.

Today kicks off week one of the challenge, so it’s time to begin discussing the A-Z of The Lifeand Loves of Clare Dugmore with;

A is for Anne Rice


For those not familiar with her, Anne Rice is an American author of gothic fiction, Christian literature, and erotica. Originally from New Orleans, she now resides in San Francisco. Rice is best known for her popular and influential series of novels, The Vampire Chronicles.

I first got into the works of Anne Rice in around 2002. I had gotten back into reading thanks the Harry Potter series, and was looking for something new to lose myself in. 

One evening, my sister Lisa and I had stayed up late, and were looking for something to watch on TV. As I browed through the channels, I saw Interview with the Vampire – starring Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt – about to start. Lisa and I watched the movie, and I fell in love.

Soon afterwards I went out and bought the a book from the series, though by some twist of fate I didn’t start off with one of the main entries from the Vampire Chronicles, but rather a story from New Tales of the Vampires, about a more minor character called Pandora.

Looking back, I can see how my choice of first book affected my view of the rest of the series. Pandora is one of my favourite characters, along with her sometime lover Marius, and Marius’ fledgling and lover, Armand. 

Although I love almost all of The Vampire Chronicles characters, it’s the love story that webs between those three that is my favourite, in particular poor, tragic Marius who always seems to become parted from those he loves, and spent centuries lovingly looking after Those Who Must Be Kept (the first vampires) only for them to betray him. I know Rice is done with the series, but I like to think/ hope Marius found a companion he could be truly happy with.

As I devoured The Vampire Chronicles, the final two books in the series – Blackwood Farm and Blood Canticle – introduced me to the Mayfair Dynasty of Witches; and I fell in love again with witch turned vampire, Mona Mayfair. 

With perky, strong-willed, redheaded Mona firmly in my mind, I set about reading the three books in the Lives of the Mayfair Witches series. And I admit, at first, I didn’t like them. I don’t know why, but it took me three attempts, over a number of years to get past the first couple of chapters. But when I eventually cracked it, I was opened up to a whole new world of wonder. 

For me, the Lives of the Mayfair Witches far surpasses The Vampire Chronicles. The matriarchal dynasty spans from the mid-1600s, when persecuted witch Suzanne calls the spirit Lasher for the first time, all the way through to nineties, where thirteenth witch Rowan gives Lasher a physical form.

It’s Rice’s marriage of history, gothic horror, and mystery that draws me back to these books again and again, and why I hold both The Vampire Chronicles and The Lives of the Mayfair Witches Trilogy so dear to my heart. 

Check back tomorrow for B is for Black Queen, and if you're interested please check out my writing blog's A-Zof Prenatural Entities first entry A is for (The Order of the) Ancile.

The full A-Z of The Life and Loves of Clare Dugmore can be found here

13 comments:

  1. Don't know much about Anne Rice so that was an interesting read. Had a glance at your summary list - a lot of common interests so I will be back to see what you have to say :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by and commenting. Glad my post could be informative for you, and it's great that we've got a lot of common interests.

      Delete
  2. I adore Anne Rice. She's the only author I've ever read who's writing voice drips sex appeal. My favorite book is Belinda. I had a few false starts before I got into it, the set up is stomach churning, but she did an amazing job turning a creepy idea into a lovely story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by and commenting. Belinda is actually one of the few Anne Rice novels I've not read, I believe it's one of her erotic novels, isn't it? I've just looked it up online and it sounds intriguing; similar to Lolita.

      Delete
  3. Anne Rice is a wonderful writer. Great choice to start off your A-Z here Clare. Interview with a Vampire is a classic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by and commenting, Sheena-Kay. Glad you like the start of my A-Z. :)

      Delete
  4. Anne Rice is awesome! I remember when they cast Tom Cruise as Lestat and she flipped out; she did not picture him as her Lestat (at all) and DID NOT want him to play the role. The big movie execs pressed up on her and finally she was forced into going with it. The incident stands out in my memory because I always felt like the author should have the final say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jen! Glad you liked today's post. I did not know that about Anne not liking Tom Cruise in the role of Lestat, she always seems so positive about him on her Facebook page. I agree, authors should have the final say on how plays their characters; in that respect I'm glad JK Rowling did what she did when she insisted all Harry Potter actors should be British.

      Delete
  5. Your blog is gorgeous! I also love Anne Rice. She's beyond brilliant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by Wendy, glad you liked the post and my blog. :D

      Delete
  6. Awesome start! I agree that the Mayfair Witches was better than the Vampire Chronicles. Armand was my favorite vamp. So many lovely A's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine! Glad to find another Mayfair witches fan, and you love Armand too! :D

      Delete
  7. I really need to check out Anne Rice's books at some point. I loved the films Interview with the Vampire and Queen of the Damned (even when I know it took a lot of liberties) but I'd like to read the book as well.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting. Your thoughts are always appreciated. ^_^