A-Z Blogging Challenge: F is for Fringe



Thank you for all the comments on yesterday’s entry, E is for EastEnders. I continue the A-Z today with;
F is for Fringe

I got into Fringe around 2009, when I (my favourite show at the time) LOST was drawing to a close, and I heard that and Fringe had similarities including both being created by J. J. Abrams.

We got the DVD of season one and watched it in rapid succession, soon falling in love with the show and being sucked in by its mythology.

There are many aspects I loved about Fringe. The pseudo-science was spectacular. While mind-blowing, it was still (for me) in the realms of possibility too. The characters were amazing, and I loved the main over-reaching themes that ran through all five seasons – Peter and dad Walter’s relationship, Peter’s romance with Olivia, and the influence of the Observers and how they effected the future.

Fringe also exemplified for me how a TV series should end. For so many years LOST was my favourite TV show; I was obsessed with it. The conclusion left me heartbroken – not because my favourite show had come to an end, but because I found that ending so unsatisfactory. I really HATED the alternate reality actually being the afterlife, and would have much preferred if it were a parallel universe.

But I digress …


Fringe ended brilliantly, and did justice to the five years I’d invested in it. Peter and Olivia went through so much, and lost so much, including their daughter Henri, but in the end they saved the past and their future and kicked ass doing so, but it was still bittersweet with Walter having to leave them and go into the future to look after the Observer child, right when he and Peter finally had a good father-son relationship. It was also really tragic how September died right before being united with his child and taking him to the future.

I think they did the theme of parents and children brilliantly, and that’s one aspect I adored. It was well represented in both Peter and Olivia with their daughter, and Peter with Walter, and Olivia’s surrogate mother relationship with Nina Sharp (whose sacrifice was BAD.ASS). 

Each individual character – even secondary ones like Astrid and Lincoln Lee – really added to the show, and I can honestly say I didn’t have a favourite, as I loved them all. 

Even though I miss Fringe and am sad it came to an end, I look back on its five year run fondly, and it will always remain right up there as one of my favourite TV shows. 

Check back on Monday 8th April for G is for Game of Thrones, and if you're interested please check out my writing blog's A-Z of Prenatural Entities latest entry F is for Fae.



10 comments:

  1. Perhaps you should work on writing the next big thing to be made into a series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by D.J. I think I'll stick to writing novels, rather than TV shows though. :)

      Delete
  2. I loved Fringe too-and was sad to see it go. It was one of very few shows The Husband and I actually greed upon watching together. (We have such different tastes) Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an excellent show, wasn't it? Glad you and your Hubby could enjoy it together. :D

      Delete
  3. Fringe rocked my world and my brain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fringe is one of those I need to watch. I'm told that the ending actually lives up to the series and not so disappointed as LOST.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you get the chance you really must watch it, it's brilliant. And yes, WAY more satisfying that LOST (*is still bitter about it*)

      Delete
  5. i loved this show as well. I am two seasons behind and need to get caught up, but I fell in love with it quickly as well.

    Dropping in from A to Z. This is my first year participating.

    Brett Minor
    Transformed Nonconformist

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by Brett, I hope you get the chance to get caught up with Fringe. :D

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting. Your thoughts are always appreciated. ^_^