A-Z Blogging Challenge: C is for Chronicles of Narnia



Thank you for all the comments on yesterday’s entry, B is for Black Queen. I continue the A-Z today with;

C is for Chronicles of Narnia


Although I watched the BBC TV serial in the late 80s/ early 90s, it wasn’t until about ten years ago that I first read the Chronicles of Narnia books in full.

I was in a discount book store, and found all seven in a box set for only £5, so I bought them and quickly devoured them. Though I vaguely remembered the story of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe from the TV series, the rest were brand new to me.

I fell in love, and got completely enveloped in the fantasy world. 

I’ve read the series many times over now, so much so that my poor books are falling apart (time to buy digital versions?).

Though I love all the books, for a mired of reasons, my favourite is The Last Battle. I especially love the religious theme in the final book, in particular the end when the life of Narnia comes to an end. 

Aslan explains that those who have been loyal to Aslan, or to the morality upheld by Narnians, join Aslan in Aslan's Country and those who have opposed or deserted him become ordinary non-talking animals and fade into shadow and vanish to a fate unknown. Even those who worshiped the false Calormene god Tash are allowed into Aslan's Country, as all faithful worship to Tash was actually worship to Aslan. Whereas the dwarfs, who believed nothing, see nothing within the barn and don't realise what they've missed out on.

I very much like the idea that when death comes, whatever you believed in throughout life, will be your fate. So, if you had no religious views, you just cease to exist and know no different. Whereas, if you believed in a God, there is no 'right' or 'wrong' God, and that all Gods of all the different religions are one and the same, just under different names and as long as you've worshiped your God faithfully, then you're allowed to pass through to the "beginning of the true story, which goes on forever, and in which every chapter is better than the one before."

Since finding the religious meaning in The Last Battle, I’ve looked deeper at the other books in the series too, and found many other wonderful examples. The death of Aslan on the stone table in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is a perfect analogy to Christ dying for our sins on the cross. 
There’s also Aslan’s message to the Pevensie children the final time they are together in The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

"Please Aslan, before we go, will you tell us when we can come back to Narnia again? Please. And oh, do, do, do, make it soon."
"Dearest," said Aslan very gently, "you and your brother will never come back to Narnia."
"Oh, Aslan!!" said Edmund and Lucy both together in despairing voices.
"You are too old, children," said Aslan, "and you must begin to come close to your own world now."
"It isn't Narnia, you know," sobbed Lucy. "It's you. We shan't meet you there. And how can we live, never meeting you?"
"But you shall meet me, dear one," said Aslan.
"Are — are you there too, Sir?" said Edmund.
"I am," said Aslan. "But there I have another name. You must learn to know me by that name. This was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there."

This quote speaks deeply to me, almost as if God himself is speaking to me. I think that’s why I find something deeply comforting about (re)reading The Chronicles of Narnia, and do so at least once a year. It’s been like reunited with an old friend you haven’t seen for many years, and immediately picking up where you left off. 

Check back tomorrow for D is for Dexter, and if you're interested please check out my writing blog's A-Z of Prenatural Entities latest entry C is for Chimera.


20 comments:

  1. I loved the BBC series. Still haven't read the books in full but I love Chronicles of Narnia still. So full of fantasy and adventure. The latest movies just do it more justice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by Sheena-kay. The books really are excellent if you get the chance to read them.

      Delete
  2. I loved the BBC Narnia, and wasn't impressed when Hollywood attempted to adapt the stories. It's been a while since I read the books. I may have to dust them off and give them another go.

    http://rebeccahgiltrow.blogspot.co.uk/p/a-to-z.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by Rebeccah. The Hollywood movies were somewhat lacking. You should dust off the books, they're so magical.

      Delete
  3. I loved the book, but hated the movie.

    Damyanti @Daily(w)rite
    Co-host, A to Z Challenge 2013

    Twitter: @AprilA2Z
    #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by Damyanti. Yeah, the movies leave a lot to be desired.

      Delete
  4. CS Lewis has always been a favorite author of mine, and he was great friends with my other fav, JRR Tolkein. I never saw the BBC version of Narnia, although I thought they did a decent job with the films in keeping to the story. I love the character of Aslan the best. That lion is just so majestic and powerful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CS Lewis and JRR Tolkein are faves of mine too. CS Lewis taught Tolkein about God, and Tolkein taught Lewis the importance of trees! :D

      I love Aslan too, he's amazing.

      Delete
  5. Fantastic books! I can't wait until my son is old enough and we can read these together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sure are. that'll be so great when you can read them together. <3

      Delete
  6. I totallt love the BBC Narnia Series. I have them on VHS but I still need to upgrade to the DVD boxset. I have all the books, the cassette tapes and several illustrated companion books. I one thing I didn't like was the movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by. I think I lent someone my DVD boxset and they never returned it. :( Oh, I should get the audio books. :D

      Delete
  7. A movie can never trump the book, no matter how good it is. The written word stays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree for the most part, though I've seen some exceptions.

      Delete
  8. The books are just magical. I've never seen the BBC production, but I have seen the three movies. And while the second two missed the mark, I thought the first one was perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping in Alex. I feel like the movies went down in quality as they went on.

      Delete
  9. I lovelovelove that this is your C. You know how I feel about Narnia, so it won't surprise you that I agree with much of your thoughts. I am mostly incoherent beyond a general "EEEEEEEEEEEEE" right now, so this will have to do for a comment. Maybe we can talk the land of my heart next time I catch you, y/y? <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A million times yes. I believe our souls belong in Narnia together! <3

      Delete
  10. Is it bad that I've only seen the movie for Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe? Not read the Narnia books, and not seen the BBC adaptation :(

    Jamie @ Mithril Wisdom
    www.mithrilwisdom.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're missing out Jamie! You should check out the books if you ever get chance; they're amazing! :D

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting. Your thoughts are always appreciated. ^_^